Academic Societies & Events
At Brethren Christian, we firmly believe that our purpose is to provide an outstanding academic education to Christian students. To that end, Academic Societies and Events recognize the achievements of our students and provide them further opportunities toward academic growth.
PRINCIPAL’S HONOR ROLL
• Academic – Fall and Spring Semester
• Sponsor – Principal and Academic Dean
• Description: To recognize academic achievement and to create enthusiasm for scholarship and strong character among Brethren Christian Students. This honor is given quarterly to students enrolled in a minimum of 30 credits (6 classes), a total G.P.A. of 3.6 and higher, and good citizenship (no N’s or U’s).
• Objective: to recognize and reward academic excellence.
CALIFORNIA JUNIOR SCHOLASTIC FEDERATION (CJSF)
• Opportunity - Academic Group
• Sponsor – Janet Niswonger, Junior High English & Bible teacher
• Description: CJSF exists to encourage students to pursue excellence in academics and citizenship (prepares students for high school CSF). All students who meet the qualifications are eligible to join. Students apply at the beginning of each semester, based on the previous semester grades. The fee is $5.
• Objective: “Scholarship for Service” is their mission.
CSF – CALIFORNIA SCHOLARSHIP FEDERATION
• Sponsor – Mrs. Stone - Assistant Principal
• Description: “Scholarship for Service” is the mission. Students apply each semester to be a member of CSF. Annual dues are $5. Students join CSF every semester they are eligible based on their grades from the previous semester beginning with the second semester of their sophomore year. Members are recognized at Senior Awards Night if they have been a member for four and /or more semesters during their high school career. This is a state organization for membership can transfer from one school to another if necessary. Freshman may join the organization but are “associate members” only. Some colleges and universities offer scholarships for students in CSF.
• Objective: to offer students opportunities for national scholarships and to recognize, via a national organization, academic achievement.
• Sponsor – ACSI – Math Department
o Math Department Chair – Mr. DeStefano
o Mrs. Whitmire – Junior High Math Teacher
• Description: ASCI sponsored event that provides junior high math students the opportunity to compete with other junior high students in the areas of math computation and problem solving. Competing students must meet criteria to compete.