International Student Admission Process



Brethren Christian Junior & Senior High School has been certified by the United States Department of Homeland Security Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) to issue form I-20 to International Students after they have been accepted into the school’s regular, full-time program.  The I-20 form is necessary to obtain a student Visa.

Brethren Christian School welcomes all applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry or gender who desire a high quality Christian education.


Steps to apply to Brethren Christian School

  1. Apply for or renew your passport if it will expire within six months of starting the program.

  1. Apply to Brethren Christian School. You can apply online right now by clicking the link below:


    or you can download and print out a copy of the Brethren Christian New Student Application for International Students and fill it out in pen.  

  1. Submit all the required documentation, confidential reference forms, transcripts, report cards, achievement scores and immunization records. If you printed out a copy of the application and filled it out in pen, you can scan the entire application and documentation and email it to  Also, be sure to send a link to the required interview video as described on the application along with your language test results. We partner with ITEP,  Another acceptable test is TOEFL Jr.

After applying to Brethren Christian School
  • Brethren Christian will evaluate your application and contact you with the result. If accepted, the school will send you the I-20 form.
  • When you receive the I-20 form your next step is to go to and pay the SEVIS fee (I-901 fee) to the United States Government. The fee is $200.  Keep your receipt!

  • Contact the United States embassy or consulate in your home country to set up an appointment for a Visa interview. For complete information on how to contact the United States Embassy in your area go to the website  On that homepage there is a box titled “Travel to the United States” in the right hand column.  Find the row titled “Study and Exchange” and click on the red “F”.  There is very important Visa information on this website.

  • When you go to the Visa interview take your I-20, your SEVIS fee (I-901) receipt, and financial records proving that you can afford to live in the U. S., and pay tuition without working until you graduate from Brethren Christian. Also take your educational records (report cards, transcripts etc..)

  • If your Visa interview is successful you will receive a Visa to travel to the United States and apply to enter the country. A Visa does not guarantee that you will be admitted to the United States. If there were a problem it would almost always be identified in the Visa interview process.  You may only enter the country 30 days prior to the start of school.  If you think you might be late, contact Brethren Christian immediately at

  • The United States Customs and Border Protection agent at the U. S. airport will look at your documentation. Do not pack it in your luggage, keep it with you. Most likely your passport will be stamped with a mark called an I-94.  This stamp identifies your “status” in the United States as a non-immigrant student.  This is called F-1 status.  It may also be marked “D/S” meaning “duration of status.”  This allows you to remain in the United States as long as you remain a full time student (you have been granted “student status”). 

International Students’ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).


International Students are a valued and respected part of Brethren Christian (BC).  The school has had two International Students elected president of the student body in the last several years!  International Students make up about 15% of the student body.  Most BC International Students are from Asia. Students are mainstreamed in all classes, which are taught in English, accommodations may be provided in the area of ESL. 

Do I have to be proficient in English to attend Brethren Christian?

YES! All classes are taught in English.  English language proficiency is one of the keys to academic success at Brethren Christian.  It is  in your best interest and we require you to take an English Proficiency test and send the scores with your application.  We partner with ITEP,  Another acceptable test is TOEFL Jr.



What if I get sick or have an accident?  Does the school provide insurance?

The school insurance only covers accidents that happen at school.  It does not cover illness or accidents that happen elsewhere.  All students, domestic and international must provide their own insurance.  The insurance you have in your home country will probably NOT cover you for sickness or accidents in the United States. The school can refer you to insurance agencies that specialize in international student insurance.



May I work while I am an international student at Brethren Christian?

NO!  This is a violation of your status. The school does not offer Optional Practical Training (OPT).



Is there an application fee?

YES!  Please see the Tuition and Fees page for further information. 



What fees do I have to pay?

International student rates may be obtained on the International Student Tuition and Fees page. There is no refund of fees for any reason.



When do I have to pay these fees?

See the International Student Tuition and Fees document for information. You may not start school until all tuition and fees are paid in full for the entire school year.



                Does Brethren Christian arrange homestays for students?

NO!, you must arrange your own homestay.  However, Brethren Christian may refer you to a home stay coordinator to help you locate a suitable arrangement.



              What if I need to leave school early to fly home?

All students must maintain an excellent attendance record.  Students must take final exams when they are scheduled.  Missing a final exam will have serious academic consequences.  Brethren Christian maintains a strict attendance policy with academic penalties for excessive absences.



I am going to be a senior, may I apply to attend Brethren Christian?

Brethren Christian only accepts new International Students into the 6th through 11th grades.  However, if you will be a senior and attended school in the U. S. this last school year and earned a full year’s credit with an excellent academic record, the school will consider your application.