History of Brethren Christian

In 1947, the Lord directed Grace Brethren Church of Long Beach (known then as "First Brethren") to launch into the field of Christian education.  From a small beginning, the elementary school grew to include a junior high, and then a high school, to meet the continuing needs of the students.  Brethren Church Schools graduated its first seniors in 1952.

 It was the dream of a handful of men, including Dr. Louis S. Bauman, Senior Pastor at First Brethren, to provide education to the students of their church families that went beyond the traditional three "Rs."  These men wanted God's Word to be taught right in the classroom, so that students could understand history and math through God's view.

Brethren Church Schools were first located at Seal Beach Brethren Church, with the first year seeing a total enrollment of 93 students from grades K-6.  The next year, a new building was erected at 60th and Orange in Long Beach to house the growing elementary school.

In 1949, Brethren High School was founded at the corner of Orange and Alondra in Paramount.  The elementary school joined the eight (8) acre Paramount campus in 1961.  The Class of 1980 graduated 93 students ... the same number of the entire enrollment in 1947.

The year 1985 brought a landmark change in the structure of Brethren Church Schools, as four evangelical churches joined with Grace Brethren Church of Long Beach to form Greater Long Beach Christian Schools, Inc. (GLBCS).  The school remained in Paramount until the summer of 1990.

Under the direction of the school board, Brethren Christian Junior & Senior High School moved to a 22-acre public school campus in Cypress in July 1990.  The enrollment in grades 7-12 grew to more than 900 students in 1996.  The school remained in Cypress until June 1998, when it was forced to move to its current location in Huntington Beach.  The school was reorganized in the summer of 1999 and is now operated and controlled by an independent Board of Directors.  In September 1999, enrollment in grades 7-12 was 430 students.

In 2008, the school signed a long term lease with the Huntington Beach City School District to lease the Gisler campus.  The lease featured  an initial term of 15 years, with four terms of five years to follow.  These are Brethren Christian options subject to cancellation only in the event the district must re-open the campus for a public non-charter school.  The lease contains many other provisions providing security and stability for the long term. 

In 2014, the Brethren Christian School Board and the Brethren Christian Foundation Board voted to merge the Foundation and the School under the new corporate name of Brethren Christian Junior & Senior High School, Inc. 

God continues to bless the school with outstanding board members, administrators, faculty, staff and students.  As we reflect on our history, the only explanation for the school's continued success is our great and faithful God.